Wednesday 13 September 2017

Welcome to Room 9



I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself.  My name is Nicola Riley-Groves.  The children can call me Mrs Groves 😊

I am originally from Te Puke.  After graduating from Waikato University, I moved to Auckland to begin my teaching career.  I have taught in several Auckland schools, and have also spent time teaching at an International School in Budapest, Hungary.  After moving to Rotorua I trained as a Reading Recovery teacher.  For the past few years I have been working part time, doing teacher release and daily relieving.  After having a bit of break from full time teaching, I am really excited about having my ‘own’ class again.

My son started school last year, so I do understand that starting school can bring with it a mixture of excitement and apprehension (for parents as well as children).  Please pop in and see me, or send an email (nicolag@stmarysrotorua.school.nz) if you have any concerns or questions. No question is too small (believe me, as a parent, even I had a few small questions).

 Please check our class blog regularly.  I hope to have it up and running before the holidays.  It will be updated every Sunday evening and again on Wednesdays, if there is anything extra to add.  If you haven’t already downloaded the St Mary’s app, please do – it’s great.  It gives you quick links to class blogs, newsletters and the absentee form.  School newsletters come out via email each Wednesday afternoon.  Also be sure to ‘like’ the St Mary’s facebook page.  We are so lucky that our school utilises this.  Grandparents love seeing what the ‘little ones’ are up to at school.

It would be much appreciated if you could bring your child’s stationery along to one of their school visits.  This will enable me to have their books set up ready for their first day.  It would be great if you could name their books.  There is no need to name pencils or glue sticks, as we have sharing pencils in Room 9. 

School begins at 8:45. I know it’s not always possible, but it is helpful if your child arrives at school just after at 8:30. This gives them a chance to say hi to their friends and get organised for the school day.  A good time for parents to leave on the first day is when the 8:45 bell goes.  Sorry parents, but once you leave, we will be too busy having fun to miss you too much – maybe just a little bit….

I look forward to getting to know you and your child.

Nicola Groves

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for making a comment. Please note that all comments need to be seen and approved by the class teacher before others will be able to view them online.